Since I've been blessed with more sunlight here in Denmark, I've been putting it to good use. In the last 3 days, I've done two labs, written a lab report, and done a prelab for another. I haven't spent much time outside of the ChemE building, so I can give you a nice description of that and the campus in general.
The ChemE department has 3 buildings all connected. The main lab building is in the middle and the two on either side are symmetrical. This has cause a lot of confusion for me and Joe. The lab building has 3 huge rooms holding all but 3 of the experiments. Large distillation columns, big reactors, funny lab coats with cartoons on the back, wind tunnels... you know, real engineering stuff.
My first lab was called "Gas Flow in Pipes" and the setup was metal tubing draped across the wall with a fan in the middle. O this was on the second story of the one lab, so we had to climb the stairs of doom to get to it. These stairs were seriously scary. 73 degree angle... might as well have been a ladder. That write up was a rough as we got back in the swing of things. Today's lab wasn't too bad. 2-Tank Process Control. About as boring as it sounds. We controlled the water level in a tank as the water continuously drained out of it and flowed in from the tank above it. 5 hours of watching moving water... quite a day. Tomorrow, we will do a distillation lab separating water and isopropanol. The equipment is huge and complicated, but I'm kind of excited to use it even though the write up may get a little dicey.
Wednesday was our day off, so naturally we spent the entire day working on our lab. It was also Joe's birthday, so around 10pm we took a break and walked to the convenient store on campus and bought ice cream bars. We decided that we will wait to celebrate everything that needs celebrating (4th of July, Joe's birthday, being able to sleep without dreaming of senior lab...) in a few weeks.
Some fun facts
Keyboards are different here. Quite confusing when you're not anticipating it.
Bikers are just as if not more aggressive than cars here. They get kind of snobby when they have their own giant lane/sidewalk.
Having the same 3 meals for a month might not be so bad...
Now I must sleep before sun thinks about rising again.
Hopefully I'll have something more exciting to talk about soon when I'm not so sleepy.
Until then,
M.e.
Haha this post made me laugh because I can just hear you talking about how weird the keyboards are and how snobby the bikers can be. It makes me miss you!! But hopefully now you've gotten more sleep? And I see that you have put up a new post so I'm guessing something "more exciting" has happened since this one! Don't overwork yourself! Remember #BOHO or rather I guess it's no #COHO? #DOHO?
ReplyDeleteCOHO being Copenhagen, but I can't remember if that's ACTUALLY where you are...
DeleteHaha, I mean yea, COHO or LOHO (Lyngby the suburb outside of Copenhagen), but let's hope SLOHO because I really don't want to take senior lab again. I have been a bit better about sleep. On days that I don't have to go in for lab, I sleep in, which is needed especially for all the bicycle dodging I have to do. Ha not really, but if DTU were not on holiday, I probably would.
Delete