On Friday, the Case Crew went out for dinner on Case's tab. Craig and his wife, Betsy, joined us for dinner at a pizzeria. It was one of the first times I've been really full in like a week. We're planning on a weekly dinner to touch base with one another or maybe just to make sure we don't starve. The dinner was a lot of fun. We heard a lot of stories about Craig's college years, which he may regret telling us eventually.
Saturday was a work day, but we had a pasta party for dinner! Most of our diets include a large portion of pasta, so to mix it up we decided to eat together.
Sunday, a few of us took an extended mental break and walked through a near by park which used to be one of the royal hunting grounds. We were gone longer than we had anticipated, but it was a nice break.
Yesterday morning, we attended a Welcome session by DTU and met the Dean and an English professor, who gave us an overview of Danish culture from a foreigners point of view. The English professor, Claire Clausen, is from New Zealand, but has lived in Denmark for over 30 years. One of the main things she taught us was it's hard to make friends with Danish people for various reason. It was nice to hear some of these cultural things, like everybody follows the fashion trends so no one stands out, because we don't have DTU students around to ask since it is July and the country is on holiday.
Tomorrow, we will tour a Nordic Sugar processing plant. We were told that we might get dirty, so I'm not sure exactly all that the tour entails. I'll be sure to let you know!
Until then,
M.e.
Jacob at liquid/liquid extraction
The distillation column we used. ~2meters
Joe taking some density measurements
Jess and Joe laughing at Pizza Dinner, Alaina on the end
Betsy and Craig telling stories
My container, 330Z
Libby excited for the Pasta Party, Joe chilling, Jacob still hard at work
Chef Krysta
Our Pasta Party was in Jess's lovely kitchen
Jess avoiding pictures...
still...
Got her.
PASTA!!!
Magnetic darts are a good call especially for all of those without such good aim (myself included)
Found a Transformer
Left, Sidewalk
Middle, Bike path
Right, Road
You follow those rules, or else...
Gate to Dyrehavsbakken (Deer Park Hill) for our hike
Clearly we all needed a mental break
Giant Snail!
Some random tower in someone's backyard
There was a golf coures in the middle of the hunting grounds
Jess getting excited about birds
Krysta.... excited about golf?
There was no room for error on this course with high grass immediately off the fair way. One of these guys hit just off the fairway, shrugged and put down another ball to shoot again.
Jess admiring the deer
The antlers are a bit different than our white tailed deer back home.
They introduce new deer to the park each year and then kill them all before the winter.
A royal country home
It was under construction :(
We noticed we were almost at the water so we kept going
Sweden's over there somewhere.
Melted giant snail?
Libby (team leader) looking great
Me (2nd in command)
I forgot to go over this before, Jess decided that we were a team and would have ranks, so she arbitrarily assigns us numbers and we move ranks depending on how we make her feel that day.
PLAYGROUND!
Puppy! So the owner was right there, but this reminds me, people just leave babies in carriages outside while they go into stores or restaurants. Really crazy. A lot of trust in their peers here.
The town by the beach had birds painted on all their buildings. Don't really know why.
A family strolling by in robes.
More Coke. I think I've had one in every country.
Bakken! The oldest operating amusement park. We just walked through since we had already been gone a while and had lab reports to finish.
Libby excited about her freshly picked flowers and this rock.
OI VE. I had a lot of catching up to do.
ReplyDeleteEven though this was awhile ago, I thought of some good songs to have as background music for your epic dash through the rain avec suitcases. They include (but are not limited to):
- Rocky theme
- We are the Champions
- Thriller (I'm sure you would have run into zombies if you hadn't been running so dang fast)
- I'm gonna be (500 miles)
- Tubthumping
- Like a Hurricane
Yeah, I just kind of typed in whatever I thought of...
When do you return stateside?
19 days!!!! not that I'm counting or anything.... July 29th I arrive in Newark around noon-thirty EST, and then CLE at like 4:30.
DeleteTHIS ONE IS ONCE AGAIN LONG! So I am scrolling back and forth to comment so that I don't forget them by the time I get through all of the pictures!
ReplyDelete1. You guys have some for real intense looking stuff in that lab...
2. TRANFORMERS! ROBOTS IN DISGUISE!! (But I also always thought that it sounded like robots in the skies...)
3. You keep on finding giant animals I feel like
4. HAH ranks
5. I remember when Mal said that about the baby carriages! Such a safe country
Miss you! Can't wait to hear about the new stuff (like the Nordic Sugar thing) :)
1. Yes, you haven't seen a real round bottom flask until you've seen one that you could sit inside.
Delete2. BAHAHAHAHAH That's adorable.
3. I KNOW! The birds here are giant too!! they're like 2-3 times the size of our regular birds.
4. haha I know. We have a lot of jokes that go along with the ranks.
5. Yea... it's so safe....a little too safe.
Hope you enjoy Nordic Sugar post! I omitted a lot of the gross technical talk because I forget a lot of it and it's not that interesting...